September 19, 2008

The Last Lear

A Shakespeare recluse, eccentric, veteran stage actor named Harish (Harry for short) is approached by an equally Cinema passionate Director named Siddharth and it is there story than. Harry is close to perfection when he is delivering dialogues from his past stage excursions and at times he is so captivating that no one else is left with anything else than to get lost in his Emotions, Expression, Hand gestures, Body posture, Physical movements, and in all Harry superble played by Amitabh Bacchan....

To impress is one thing but to leave an ever lasting impression is another, Harry's superb talent seems to be fouled by many other characters and there too long presence on the screen behaving as curtains to hide the greatest performer of the movie. And Bang when Harry comes on screen, people come close to the edge of their so comfy sofas of the Cinema Halls of these days which come for a price anything in between Rs. 125 to Rs. 500 for 2.5 hours, and Harry does leaves an impression, a solid one of an egoistic, self centered, too bold for his age, someone who can't live without his crystal glass of Alcohol (another way of distracting people by continuously rolling it), with over sized robes presenting himself not to be a character in this movie but a character from the Shakespeare Era... representing the old time of Unighted Kingdom very well and majestically for sure. Harry must be praised for his efforts in delivering the part of Prospero from 'The Tempest' already played by him across many cities, and he is awesome in that scene in the movie.

My personal opinion on this movie is that Harry was underused and instead of exploiting/justifying his talent he beared resemblence to a person who is a puppet in the hands of Siddharth or moresover Rituparno Ghosh to be precise. It would have been much better, and scintillating to see Harry perform all alone in some part of the movie.. But Alas!

When in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes

I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur’d like him, like him with friends possess’d,
Desiring this man’s art, and that man’s scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee,—and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
For thy sweet love remember’d such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.






It's time for me to leave Harry to rest for some time so that, he could make a comback entry for an award in maybe a next film...

The End!

1 comment:

  1. Readout your profile, Cool Man! First of all let me clear that I am not posting any comment on your post. Because I don't know about the subject you have penned down, but You have missed to mention one most favourate show of us, "Man verses Wild". Got it? One more thing please remove word verification.

    ReplyDelete